Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Music Note - Stavesacre "Collective"

I've decided to start up a new semi-regular segment that will focus on suggesting music that might otherwise slip under the radar for our readers. While I don't expect everyone to like all of my suggestions, I hope that this will at least serve to direct eyes to a few bands that I believe are worthy of attention.

My first review will be of Stavesacre's compilation album "Collective." This one is definitely not for everyone. Stavesacre is an often loud band. There isn't a lot of yelling, but the vocals are certainly passionate and loud in several songs. But they also don't shy away from slower, ballad style rock either. This album has the best of their first three albums (four of them re-recorded with a more mature sound,) plus a cover song.

One of Stavesacres strengths is their ability to mix uncompromising content with quality rock. You won't find them quite as straightforward as say, the Supertones, when it comes to their lyrics. But this is more a function of their love of metaphor, rather than any desire to shy away from discussing their faith and struggles. Much of Stavesacre's music follows a pattern of: sorrow or defeat giving way to hope and faith and finally finding comfort (although not always human happiness) in God's grace. This makes much of their music come across darker if you don't listen through to the end. This band has obviously been influenced by Ecclesiastes.

The song that begins this album, "At the Moment" captures this pattern:

with a sigh i greet the day
i feel the morning on my face
weary at the moment i awake
even as i lie
the thought returns to mind
"welcome to the rest of your life".
somewhere i've lost my way
from saved to stray and failing
in silence my spirit pleads,
"is the vision lost
or has it been passed on?
is there any use continuing?"

my soul will wait
my soul-wait silently
for God, my God(God my refuge)
and i will live
and i know some destiny
still waits for me

his faithfulness, my hope
it brings comfort to my soul
with a still small voice whispering,
"call upon my name and i
will set you up on high
be still and know that i am God

creation speaks to me
i'm stricken to my knees
in reverence and fear
forever my Almighty
the heavens in your hand
surpass the grains of sand
who am i before you
elieonai eli adullam [God my father, God my refuge; Hebrew]
Stavesacre also isn't afraid to take on social norms. In the un-official two parter "Colt.45" and "Zzyzx Scarecrow", they take on atheism and abortion:
I though about what you said
something occurred to me
you wouldn't ask me to turn my back on anything
if you believed that I believe
truth is I would love to show you
take "faith & works" to another higher stage
so there is little time for words you've heard
life and death are only steps, I'm not afraid of what comes next
what is enough in your opinion
perhaps my death would bring some substance to my claims

vanity of vanities this
life, love, art & sex
each breath you breathe is
grasping at the wind

He is my everything

we cannot both be right
about right and wrong
and God and man
right and wrong and God and man

i want what you ask of me this time
please step up to the line
He's my everything
action begs reaction
And
near the gateway to mojave
i saw a place
both beautiful and blistering
and cruel and cold the same
the sun was like a lion
bearing down upon its prey
death valley stained in crimson
for the moon to wash away
and i envisioned rows of gallows
for the world to look upon
one step too bringing order
to a planet tempting chaos

can you feel it coming down
the righteous wrath of God
revealed from out of heaven
for the innocent blood
crying from the ground

while the wicked seem to prosper
and glory in these days
as if their ways were hidden
as if they had escaped
we have lost our sense of justice
smearing lines of right and wrong
despising any standards
we blindly stumble on
bleeding hearts may scream compassion
what of those that cannot cry
a life is worth a life
justice...merciful and blind

innocent blood
is crying from the ground

it's coming down
One of the most powerful songs on the album is "Rivers Underneath," an exploration of conversion with undertones that foreshadow the death that we must all face. The writer considers the futile nature off all that has come before his moment in which he meets God
Somehow stumbled my way home, stood inside the doorway
Staring blind through rooms I knew were missing more than the paintings on the walls
It's hard to call this home, I'm more that just alone
Have I been passed by and left behind again

I feel it pulling me
It's heavy

No desire to wonder why the answers have so long escaped me
But the arms are open wide to rivers underneath the surface
Follow with the tide ease into the cooler water
Farewell and all goodbyes to the shoreline

Remember when we
Did you see them
Don't forget this moment ever
We belong this is home
I've missed you so
For now and always
I cannot recall
My life before this
But easily the most beautiful song on "Collective" is "Gold and Silver," written by someone who clearly sees that their own understanding will get them nowhere, especially in the most trying moments of life.
You slipped from my arms, I knew you had to go
Such a heavy heart, who could hope to hold
And I know where you're going, and that's the hardest part
No matter where tonight ends, you won't escape your broken heart

Stay a while

Helpless for the words, and it tightens up the air
It's not what you deserve, it's not for lack of care
Inside of me is screaming out, I'm praying for my prayers
Distracting and unworthy of each and every burning tear

Seems insincere

Do I see God in all of this, maybe all along
It's just that we're so small, and simply not as strong
Strong like wings of silver, and feathers made of gold
To carry heavy hearts, to cover all our helpless souls

To cover all of us

Under wings of Gold and Silver sometimes we have to hide
For shelter from this bitter winter at least tonight

If it were mine to give I'd give you your own time
Turn it back or forward whatever you decide

Stay a while
As stated earlier, this is not the album for everyone. However, Stavesacre melds powerful imagery with powerful music that takes us on a journey into the darker parts of our souls and yet refuses to linger there. And that is what ultimately separates this band from so many other rock acts. They are filled with the hope of Christ, even as they feel the burdens of this world. And that is the power that lifts them above the darkness all around them.

No comments: