Monday, October 29, 2007

The problem with Global Warming predictions

My environmentally-conscious friends often criticize me for my lack of interest in the Global Warming movement and controversy. "The world is coming to an end!" some day. Others plead with me, "We only have a few years left to act before the scales are tipped and there is nothing to do to stop a runaway environmental crisis." Still others are more sober and just say "You need to be informed." But the problem all along for me has been the attempt to make global predictions based on incomplete data and an even more incomplete understanding of the underlying processes.

Well, here is another shovel of dirt to throw on my interest in Global Warming science. Click on the link below for an article showing that despite strong predictions that 2007 would be the most active hurricane system in history... what actually happened was the LEAST active one since record-keeping began.

http://www.coaps.fsu.edu/~maue/tropical/

3 comments:

Sean said...

That is some pretty interesting data. It will be interesting to see how they spin it - if it gets out there at all.

For some time now I've thought that there were larger cycles at hand than are being accounted for by those who espouse the greenhouse theory of global warming. It seems that perhaps, this is yet another sign that we need to go back and look at the science being used to predict global warming.

Sean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I might read Newt's new book about effecting the environment.

BowHunter