Saturday, November 01, 2008

Biking Update - November 1, 2008

Weight Log from October 31 2008Okay, I am taking a chance and still calling this weekly feature a "Biking Update" because I am hoping to finally get back to biking today. This was another week of good weight loss, but lots of difficulty for our dog, Biscuit. The good news is that I reached my goal weight of 230 this week, and ended it out just a bit below. It is not clearly evident at the graph to the left here, but if you look closely you will see the line briefly dips below 230 at the very end. :-) It was a great encouragement to finally reach my original goal. I have lost over 55 lbs now from when I started on June 1 with a combination of smaller portions, elimination of refined sugar, and regular exercise in the form of biking (either on the roads or more often on a stationary bike in the attic).

Best blood pressure reading in years... From Wal-Mart anywayThe next question, of course, is what is the plan from here? I did some reading online and spoke to one of my weight-loss gurus and it all agrees that now is not the time to slack off. I plan to keep up the diet and exercise schedule and see how low I can go. Not sure if I will try to set a new goal in the short term, or just see where I end up. But for the next week or two, at least, my focus will be on keeping the trend going in the right direction. The photo to the right is of a Wal-Mart blood pressure cuff at their pharmacy. These are not known for their accuracy, but I thought it was worth noting it was the lowest reading I have had there in years. And this was while I was picking up medication for the dog, after an extremely stressful vet visit, so I was not nearly at my most relaxed! This is a good sign.

Next, I need to see the doctor about maybe taking up karate again. But that will probably have to wait until we see how Biscuit is doing.

3 comments:

quizwedge said...

big round of congratulations to you!

Anonymous said...

that bp rate is and the pain free back are the biggest reasons why you are THE MAN!!!

Nomad said...

Did not get to bike outside today, as Biscuit had another crisis. This time, one of the meds designed to cure her caused her to produce from both ends. Apparently in a small number of animals Atopica (cyclosporin) is toxic. The hospital was able to stabilize her. But we did not leave the hospital until after 3 PM, got home around 4 PM, and once we had a chance to shower (we had to rush out straight from bed) and groom, it was almost 5 PM. No time to bike before it got dark.

Oh, well. Family - even furry family - must always come first.