Wednesday, January 28, 2009

How to get the best deal at a liquidation sale

Recently Circuit City has announced that they're going out of business.  The news of this sent bunches of people into a tizzy over the great deals they were going to find.  I really need a new bounce flash for my camera and I have a specific one that I'd like to buy.  So, I went to CC on the first weekend of their liquidation sale to see if I could find a good price on the flash.  Fortunately I am very aware of the pricing of this particular flash and discovered that even with the 10% off they were offering at the time it was still $30 more than I'd pay online for the flash.  I went again this past weekend and the price is now inline with the online prices.  I may go again this weekend to see if the price is down to where I'd like it to be.  With this in mind I find this Lifehacker post quite relevant to finding good deals at a liquidation sale.
Last year SuperPow television company released the SuperPow H9000 HDTV. The manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) was $2500. It was sold at HappyBox electronics stores for $2200 when it first came out and as newer models arrived it was eventually sold for $1250. HappyBox has a bad run and ends up filing for bankruptcy. Their inventory is now controlled by a liquidation company. The company responsible for the liquidation advertises that products in the store are deeply discounted, some things are even 50% off already! You walk in to check on the SuperPow H9000 and see that the price is $1250. You remember the TV was really expensive and that seems like a great deal for a nice TV, after all it's 50% off! The only problem is that you're getting 50% off the MSRP, which nobody paid even when the TV was the hottest model on the market. It may be a month or two into a large liquidation before that TV is actually marked down 50% from the actual street value to a wallet-friendly $625—and most likely someone not realizing they aren't getting a very good deal would have bought it well before that.
Happy shopping.

No comments: