Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday and the Beginning of Lent

Ash Wednesday is not something that any of the churches I have attended have ever celebrated. And Lent has really always been a time of preparation for Easter, but the tradition of giving something up over that time was never taught or preached. But as I grow older, I wonder if there is not value in the tradition of introducing some mild suffering to ourselves, in order to remind us of the ultimate suffering that Christ endured on our behalf. Not sure what I will do, but I am considering it.

What do other Mod-Bloggers think? Are you planning to observe Lent this year by giving something up for the next 40 days?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although it is not my regular pattern, I am contemplating it this year. I know I should have thought about this earlier, but my church (and past ones) does not stress this, so it just came to mind with the news stories about Ash Wednesday.

Sean said...

I was seriously contemplating giving up the internet, but I think my boss would really frown on that.

But seriously, my normal Lent practice is to read slowly Stanley Hauerwas' book 'Cross Shattered Christ: Meditations on the Seven Last Words of Christ'. It's a small book, but it packs a powerful punch.

Sean said...

BTW it's 46 days. 40 days minus Sundays. Technically you can partake in what you give up on Sunday.

Suricou Raven said...

Lent has mutated here to give us the newer tradition of Pancake Day.

Ward said...

My tradition sort of takes Lent seriously. You certainly don't miss that it's Lent, at least. As for Muse and myself, we both take it very seriously and consider it an important time of the year as it prepares the participants for Easter. Not only do you give things up, but you also replace them with other opportunities for devotion.

As for Pancake Day, that's actually an old tradition that dates back a good ways.

Nomad said...

I have decided to try the Lent "fast" this year. I am going to give up recorded TV. It is not a big thing - I am not giving up TV altogether - but it is something small that I will miss and which should free up some of my time for more edifying pursuits.

If anyone cares, I'll let you know how it goes. It if is going badly, you can be sure I'll be asking you what is happening on HEROES at the moment. ;-)