Thursday, February 05, 2009

Bill Gates releases mosquitos on audience

When I first read about this, I thought it must be an internet hoax/prank. But now they have video. Apparently, Bill Gates released a swarm of mosquitoes onto an unsuspecting crowd at the Technology, Entertainment, Design Conference.

"Malaria is spread by mosquitoes," Gates said while opening a jar onstage at the Technology, Entertainment, Design Conference — a gathering known to attract technology kings, politicians, and Hollywood stars.

"I brought some. Here I'll let them roam around. There is no reason only poor people should be infected."

...Gates then waited a minute or so before assuring the audience the freed insects were malaria-free.
I know this was supposed to be a way to make a point about first-world people caring about third-world problems, but it was wrong. Self-righteous displays like this only serve to alienate the audience. If it were me there, Bill Gates would have accomplished only one thing - ensuring I never gave his foundation another nickel as long as I live.

But maybe that's just me. What is your reaction?

3 comments:

CRCHAIR said...

I'd just hang near Nomad. With him around, mosquitoes wouldn't bother to come toward me. ;-)

Sean said...

I think it's a good way of making a point. I'm sure that most people didn't react to it the way Nomad would. Making the crisis less about theory and more about reality is important; especially on issues like malaria which should have been dealt with a long time ago, but hasn't because people are only talking about it and not doing much of anything. Plus it's largely harmless.

Anonymous said...

I would have felt manipulated and angry.