Tuesday, February 17, 2009

How are statisticians changing sports?

I am not a big sports guys, but this is where science and sports meet. Stats have always been a huge part of baseball, but other sports have not always paid as much attention. Now, the NBA is taking notice of the efforts of Houston Rockets to study statistics and ferret out those players who are not big scorers but make a huge difference in whether a team wins or loses.

Battier’s game is a weird combination of obvious weaknesses and nearly invisible strengths. When he is on the court, his teammates get better, often a lot better, and his opponents get worse — often a lot worse. He may not grab huge numbers of rebounds, but he has an uncanny ability to improve his teammates’ rebounding. He doesn’t shoot much, but when he does, he takes only the most efficient shots. He also has a knack for getting the ball to teammates who are in a position to do the same, and he commits few turnovers. On defense, although he routinely guards the N.B.A.’s most prolific scorers, he significantly reduces their shooting percentages. At the same time he somehow improves the defensive efficiency of his teammates — probably, Morey surmises, by helping them out in all sorts of subtle ways. “I call him Lego,” Morey says. “When he’s on the court, all the pieces start to fit together. And everything that leads to winning that you can get to through intellect instead of innate ability, Shane excels in. I’ll bet he’s in the hundredth percentile of every category.”
This article brings back to my mind the Golden Age of the NBA when players like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson not only were superstars, but actually caused the other players around them to play better. Bringing out more people with that same gift can only make the game better and more fun to watch.

4 comments:

Sean said...

i'm in the middle of a book called 'Money Ball' that does a similar thing with the Oakland A's.

My biggest beef with the NBA is that it seems to be a handful of superstars and then a bunch of other people to pass the ball to the superstar. I like team basketball and I don't feel like I get that in the NBA. But hey, at least I've got NCAA bball to keep me warm.

Anonymous said...

I so appreciate a beautiful pass that I do not agree with Sean. What goes on before the shot is just as interesting to me as the actual scoring.

The linked article is long, but very interesting. I read the whole thing (in two sittings). Of course, I am a big NBA fan.

Sean said...

Shadowmom, i agree a beautiful pass is an amazing thing. i just have a problem with all of those passes going to the same guy.

Kobe scoring 61 a couple weeks ago was an amazing feat, but the rest of his team (other than Gasol who had 31) basically didn't do anything but pass him the ball. He had 0 rebounds and 3 assists. When people talk about the Lakers they talk about Kobe with an occasional mention of Gasol or Odom. The point is that NBA teams are built around one or two stars with a large supporting cast who are there to make the star(s) better. The NBA isn't a team game.

I'm in favor of lots of beautiful passes going to and from lots of players and I find that in the NCAA.

Anonymous said...

I must admit that I do not enjoy watching the Lakers, except that I know Kobe is a great player and I will want to say I saw him play in his prime. I much more enjoy teams like the Mavericks.