Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Kindle 2.0 coming Monday?

I am a big fan of the Amazon Kindle. When it first came out, I was skeptical. I had played with eBooks before on Windows CE and Palm devices and they never really were able to deliver the goods. Book selection was limited, the screens have me a headache after a while, and as soon as I upgraded my PDA/Phone/Computer it was all lost, because of Draconian DRM. But I picked up the Kindle last year on a whim when it had a price drop, after looking around my room and realizing how much room I was wasting on books bought at Amazon.Com. And it quickly won me over. The ePaper screen was easy to read, the interface was clunky but worked perfectly for actually READING things, and the ability download books from anywhere was great.

Now, it is rumored that Amazon.Com is ready to release the second Kindle. The upgrades are unclear, but likely include a better form factor, better screen refreshes, and more memory. If they provide an easy upgrade path (which is expected), then I will be sorely tempted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not hard to tempt you with techie improvements. :-)