Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mama's Boys and Other Parent-Child Relationships

Another blog asks the question, "Why does our culture undervalue mother-son relationships?" Mother-daughter bonding and father-son bonding are seen as normal, natural and necessary. There are father-daughter events. But for the son close to his mom? The one cultural example other than "mama's boy" that I can think of is Oedipus Rex. I vaguely remember one - possibly two - times that there was a mother-son event. Personally, I grew up having and still have a close relationship with my mom (and dad, for that matter) and I know others here have as well - all without being "mama's boys". Other than culture telling sons that they have to be "manly men", why are mother-son relationships held lower in our culture than other parent-child relationships?

2 comments:

"Nick" said...

Not sure it's held in lower esteem, but I think it is just assumed. What do football players say into the camera (other than "I'm #1")? Hi Mom. In movies and plays mothers are often the one's who can get the son to do something no one else can.

So I'd say the relationship is just assumed to be strong, and it's more of an unspoken relationship. Mother's are often in movies as strong characters with strong relationships to their sons. Think of American Gangster or The Godfather, or Apollo 13, or any number of movies. The mom is always there, in the background.

It's when it is over done that we get the "mama's boy" comments.

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts, Nick. As a mom, I thank you for validating my good relationship with my sons. (Not that it needed validation.)

Still, Wedge had good ruminations.