Friday, April 24, 2009

R.I.P. Geocities

The Nomad's very first web page was on Geocities. "The Nomad's Wanderings" was a regurgitation of the various Star Wars Episode 1 rumors that were out and about before the premiere. I checked, and no - it no longer exists (although I am sure an enterprising person could find it on the Wayback Machine). I loved that little site, even though I was pretty much the only person who ever read it. So it was with sadness that I read today that Yahoo is going to permanently shut down Geocities. Then again, I have not had a reason to visit a Geocities page in years, so it was not a shock.

Rest in peace, Geocities. You'll be missed.

3 comments:

Sean said...

Nomad forgot to mention that Geocities was also the home to Quizwedge, Ward and my first websites as well. It's fair to say that a good number of web careers were started by tinkering late at night with HTML for a Geocities page.

RIP Geocities.

quizwedge said...

:sniff: We'll miss you.

Ward said...

Sean is quite right. I remember learning a lot about html messing with that site. Good times, and I'm sad to hear it's closing.