Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"Unstoppable?"

I am used to the word "unstoppable" being used in comic books or science fiction films to describe the "big bad" in a story. I am NOT used to seeing it applied to anything in real life. But now the WHO has declared the swine flu/H1N1 virus "unstoppable" and is calling upon countries to quickly produce and stockpile vaccines in anticipation of a global pandemic.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE56C60820090713?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

While I am glad that health authorities are taking this seriously, I hope they can find a way to temper the rhetoric and have some level of optimism. I also hope that when President Obama is working on his health care reform, he doesn't try to use the H1N1 virus as a political weapon to force it thru. But somehow, I think that move is inevitable.

No comments: