Friday, September 17, 2004

India Pushing for a Permanent Security Council Seat

Britain is planning to support India's move to obtain a permanent seat on the Security Council. At this point, I have to honestly say that I don't know what I think of this. It's certainly true that the East needs to be represented fairly on the Security Council but I'm not sure that India has proven itself a stable and responsible nation yet.

Don't misunderstand me here. I'm not saying anything disparaging about India. But the VJP still has considerable power even after losing in the recent elections. And their brand of hateful, persecution style violent politics is not something that we should be condoning, let alone giving permanent member status to. Until the extremist are out of power, I can't support putting any country into a permanent position of power like that.

No comments: