Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Should college athletes be paid?


As I was driving in to work this morning I heard this interesting editorial on whether or not college athletes - particularly the football and basketball variety - should be paid. The basic argument is that they are employees of the college or university that they attend - in that they are earning money for the institution - so fair employment practices should be enforced for them. The idea that a college scholarship is 'payment' is poo-pooed and instead it becomes a race issue with all the poor black kids being forced into laboring for the rich white administrators.

I disagree with this editorial on many levels. First this is in no way a slavery or 'kept woman' situation. In our society education is the highest ideal. If you have a good education then you are thought well of - even if you're a complete idiot (e.g. Bill Clinton). But if you don't have a good education then you're not well thought of - even if you're quite successful. In the situation of college athletes, it's a trade off. They get the invaluable education that our society values for performing on the field - something else our society values. I love the NCAA commercials that point out how many thousands of college athlete there are and that the vast majority of them are going pro in something other than sports. That's what college is about after all - training for a profession. As for the ones that do go pro in a sport, they are in training as well. The college level is where they go to the next level in order to be ready for the pro level in their sport. It's necessary for most pro athletes to have this time of preparation before they go pro in their sport. So, the idea that this is some form of slavery is pretty much bunk. The time these athletes spend training and playing in college prepares them for the earning potential they get when they do go pro. It's a pretty fair trade off, if you ask me.

Secondly, have you seen how much college costs these days? It cost me over $80,000 just for my undergrad degree and I graduated 8 years ago - I can guarantee you that the cost hasn't gone down. The best of these athletes are given full scholarships to the institutions they are playing for, which when added up over 4 (and sometimes 5) years usually totals over $100,000. If at 18 I was told that my talent on the field was worth over $100,000 and that in going to that place where my skills were worth that much money I would gain the skills to be worth significantly more than that - I can pretty much guarantee that I would have jumped at that prospect. A scholarship is payment, whether you like it or not. Can you spend that payment at the mall? No, but you can spend the payment you get for the skills earned as a result of that scholarship.

Most schools push the idea of being scholar-athletes to their athletes. By not paying the athletes this idea is furthered. If we start to pay our college athletes then they will simply become athletes without the scholar. In the realm of college, where learning to be a scholar is the first and foremost priority, hiring athletes would not be a positive move.

13 comments:

Nomad said...

The idea of paying student athletes also ignores a very simple fact of the current system. College sports provide a way to hone ones skills without the pressure of a salary. If you are being paid for your results, then the employer can FIRE YOU for failing to perform. At a college, your scholarship may be revoked, but you have options to stay in school and get training.

Nowadays, there is nothing forcing students to go to college before the NBA. LeBron James, for one, went straight in after confessing honestly that he need to earn money while he could. That was his life choice. I would recommend my son do the college route, to ensure that there is a back-up plan in case he blows out his knee during the first game in the NBA. But that is a different life choice.

CRCHAIR said...

The other thing is that the scholarship is garunteed as long as you remain academically eligible and follow the team rules. There are lots of guys in football and basketball who get scholarships and pretty much never play a significant minute for their team.

I would not be against some sort of small stypend for student atheletes, but this would have to be a NCAA wide policy with something like $60 a week. These athletes can't really hold another job while on campus, so a little spending money would not hurt in my book. It would also lessen the chances of corruption by boosters paying athletes whether they come to work or not.

Anonymous said...

At many schools, the idea of a student-athlete is a farce. Many of these athletes never go to class and leave the school illiterate. I don't yet have an opinion on paying the athletes. I do think they should really be students, though.

I do agree that they get a free training in their sport, and this is already worth a lot.

Anonymous said...

If the issue is poor kids being blocked from making money in the NBA, but still need more experience. Why not play in the CBA or foreign leagues? Ya get paid, but don't gotta be ready to throw down with the big boys yet.

Anonymous said...

If the issue is poor kids being blocked from making money in the NBA, but still need more experience. Why not play in the CBA or foreign leagues? Ya get paid, but don't gotta be ready to throw down with the big boys yet.

Anonymous said...

As the only Mod-bloger who was not only a college athlete, but also an All-American, (those who know my full name can try to google it and see what I am talking about) I feel I can bring an interesting prospective on the situation. The current system is broken. College sports is WAY TOO SERIOUS!!! I practiced 2-3 hours a day, had to sign into the weight room for at least 1-2 hours, and then we would check out film or go over form or positions. I also had a strict diet and was dictated what my outside activities cold be. (no intramural sports, no skiing, no motorcycles, no alcohol, etc.) College sports took about 34 hours a week to participate in.

Anonymous said...

That being said, the team DID PAY FOR YOU!!!. They bought your shoes, your clothes, if you needed street clothes, they could help by them, if you needed help with book money, they would help. They provided dorm space, meals, transportation, paid vacations, (spring training in florida) and a tutor if you were falling behind. As far a Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, the team takes care of everything... THEY EVEN DO YOUR LAUNDRY!!! There is nothing more that you NEED. Now if you are talking about BLING... then that is another thing... Maybe it is keeping up with the joneses and the culture that the kids are complaining about. If that is the case... I have no sympathy for that getto crap. It isn't they money they need, it is a nock back into reality. It is all mutual use. The player uses the college as a platform to a better life (be it going pro or becoming a professional in business) and the college uses the kid to further their name, donations, and the program.

CRCHAIR said...

One issue that has been brought up a couple of times is athletes coming out of school early. The NBA now has a rule that your high school class must finish their Freshmen year of college before you can go pro. The NFL has a stricter rule that says that your class has to finish their Junior Year before you can go pro. There is no more CBA in basketball as they went out of business. (Another brilliant managment job by Coach Thomas of the Knicks) The NBA Developmental League I believe has the same rules as the regular NBA.

Anonymous said...

Nice clarification.

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Two days ago I had fun with this site:
[url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Wii Live Tournaments[/url]
They say you can play online NHL game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Now, I feel good, I begin to get real money.
It's all about how to choose a correct companion who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the income with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Air Jordans said...

Thanks for adding the new information, as well as your analysis. This is why your blog is one of the few I read that I also ever bother to comment on. I don't do it to hear myself talk - I do it because I know you actually listen.

Air Jordans said...

Thanks for adding the new information, as well as your analysis. This is why your blog is one of the few I read that I also ever bother to comment on. I don't do it to hear myself talk - I do it because I know you actually listen.