Friday, June 20, 2008

Starbucks suffering from $4+ Gas

I do not drink coffee, as I really dislike hot drinks. So, I have never gotten the appeal of Starbucks. But it has been an enduring part of most of my coworker's commute for the last 10 years. But now, it appears Starbucks is facing a foe it can't defeat - $4+/gallon gasoline!

What was once a frequent occurrence such as the morning trip to Starbucks or taking the family to a ballgame just isn’t as financially feasible when $4-per-gallon gas must also share a place in the budget,” said Jack R. Nerad, executive editorial director and executive market analyst for Kelley Blue Book and kbb.com.
I must admit this makes a lot of sense. The mid-day run to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts for coffee used to be a tradition around my office. But when driving to the store costs more than the item itself, the free coffee machine provided by the boss must be much more attractive.

1 comment:

Sean said...

We're experiencing the same things here in the heart of Starbucks country.