Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Good sportsmanship always encourages


I haven't lost a parent yet, but I can imagine it to be the worst thing ever. I can't imagine playing in a basketball game just after my mother died, but that's what Johntell Franklin, wanted to do. So when he entered the game after not being put on the teams roster for that night, his team was assessed a technical foul. What happened next is encouraging.
"I gathered my kids and said, 'Who wants to take these free throws?'" Rohlman said, recounting the game to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Darius McNeal put up his hand. I said, 'You realize you're going to miss, right?' He nodded his head."

McNeal, a senior point guard, went to the line. The Milwaukee Madison players stayed by their bench, waiting for the free throws. Instead of seeing the ball go through the net, they saw the ball on the court, rolling over the end line.

"I turned around and saw the ref pick up the ball and hand it back to the player," Womack said in the Journal Sentinel. "And then [McNeal] did the same thing again."
...
"I did it for the guy who lost his mom," McNeal told the newspaper. "It was the right thing to do."
This was a tragic situation, but I'm glad to see some of the leaders of our schools being able to teach in this type of situation.

No comments: