Wednesday, February 18, 2009

G.M. prepares for restructure

Yesterday General Motors (GM) announced their restructuring plan. Much of the plan was already known, but this solidified the next series of actions. The biggest step being taken by the company is to shutdown Saturn and severely limit Pontiac, while selling off Hummer and Saab. This will leave them with four major brands: Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac. I am not a business man, but the choice of brands seems kind of random to me. For instance, GMC trucks and Chevy trucks are essentially the same thing. Why maintain a brand like GMC when you could merge it into Chevy and be done with it. I don't like the choice on Pontiac either, seems to me that they should flip flop between Pontiac and Buick. But then again, I am not a business person and I don't know the actual numbers.

2 comments:

CRCHAIR said...

GM killed Saturn. Someone on their end must have been working on that for some time. Saturn had the chance to transform the entire GM company but instead, GM will try to do what they have always done, just in a cheaper way.

I think GM should have gone to a "No Haggle" model like Saturn had. Local and smaller dealers would be helped as buyers wouldn't have any incentive to drive long distances just to save a few dollars.

Anonymous said...

I love Saturn and I really don't like Wagner.