Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Selling naming rights for local schools

The school district where I live is considering just that. The school district budget is quite tight these days, so as a means of raising more money they're considering selling the naming rights of their schools. I understand the concept and more money is definitely needed, but I'm not sure I agree with this particular means of making money. I really like the tradition of naming schools after important people, either locally or nationally. Here in Tacoma we have several schools that are named after presidents and important people to the development of the area. I just think that Lincoln High School sounds better than Gatorade High School, but that could be just me.

2 comments:

Nomad said...

Disclaimer: I have not read the article.

The other problem with selling naming rights is what it teaches our children. It says that ANYTHING is for sale. Education - philosophically - has been the duty of society and the government in the past. The funding of key educational symbols like this instead teaches that education is subject to corporate largess. If we can't/won't fund our schools thru social programs (taxes, bake sales, etc.) then we're saying education is not important.

Let's keep funding in the pubic sphere and out of the business sphere.

quizwedge said...

How much do they want? Naming a school after myself? Or how about "Homer Simpson High School"? mmm.... donuts